Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 1

Wow! Crazy start. So I left for the airport on Friday at around 9pm, got there, said my good byes and got on the first plane which took me to North Carolina. I was excited for the flight because I like talking to people on planes because you'll never see them again and their usually interesting. Well I got on the plane and I ended up next to a Korean couple that didn't speak English, and the guy was really loud! People kept shushing him. When I finally got to North Carolina I was pretty hungry but my next flight was already boarding. So I eat my meal bars that my Mom packed(Thanks Mom) and got on the plane. Then I sat in the plane an hour before we even took off because the loading ramp was broken. Then a three hour flight. When I arrived in the San Juan airport I went to get my bags and to meet up with Betsy, the school principle. I got my bags but Betsy was nowhere to be found. I cancelled my Verizon service but I can still audio Skype on my phone when there is wifi. Well SJU, as it turns out, is the only airport that doesn’t have wifi. In fact I asked an employee if there was a place nearby that had wifi, and he didn’t know what wifi was... welcome to Puerto Rico. I eventually found a pay phone but it was broken and eat the only change that I had. After asking several people, one lady from Texas let me use her cell phone! I called Betsy but she wouldn't pick up her phone. I felt like Tom Hanks in The Terminal, stuck in a new country, alone. After that I wondered all around the airport for about an hour looking for wifi or Betsy. I finally got a lead on when I could find the mystical wifi, across the street at a hot wings restaurant. So I carried on with my 50+ pounds of luggage across the street. I had to take a cross walk that forced me into a parking structure that the restaurant was up against. I got next to the restaurant but I was on the wrong level. So I found an elevator and went down one floor. It was again the wrong floor but there was a Wendy's so I decided to go in and take a break. As I walked in the door I saw someone that I recognized from the school's website! Before I could say anything she finger spelled my name and I signed "Yes! That’s me!” We had both been at the airport for two hours looking for each other, and she didn't even know what I looked like. She was walking around the airport asking anyone who fit my description and looked lost if they were Chris Tingley. What a champ. I would have given up 1hr 45mins ago, but she stuck with it and found me. I was expecting Betsy Hoke, but Jen Johnson came to pick me up. We got to know each other on the 45min drive to the school. I thought it would be longer than that but it wasn’t. When we got to the school the electricity was out so I couldn’t text or call anyone so we eat a delicious meal at the school in the dark. After dinner we went to a festival were there was going to be food and music and a parade but the power was out there too so there were just a bunch of upset people standing in the dark so we went to the grocery store which had a generator and got groceries and went home. Sweet first day!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, the story had a happy ending! Loved reading it, looking forward to more!

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an adventure! Your faith has already been tested and you already have a great story of God's faithfulness to you! We are praying for you and looking forward to hearing more about what the Lord is doing. Love, The Harms (k,n,b,j)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love reading this NOW - almost a year later... so funny!

    ReplyDelete