Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 6

I had a pretty cool day today. It started with the normal staff meeting where I invited myself on a trip I knew nothing about. Betsy was talking about going to Kevin's house. Kevin is one of my deaf friends who attends ESD so of coarse I wanted to go. Well what I didn't get was that Betsy, the school's principal, was going to Kevin's house to translate for Kevin and his Mom so they could work out some problems that they were having. So we get to the house and sit down with both of them, and Betsy starts signing to Kevin while saying what she was signing out loud in Spanish... Ya, sounds complicated? Try doing it. Sign language is her second language, and Spanish is her third, so she is using her second and third language at the same time, and i'm sitting there trying to understand any of it, and failing. I ended up just praying for Betsy that this language miracle that was happening could continue so that Kevin and his Mom could resolve their issues, and they did. So we ended up bringing Kevin with us to go to Pizza Hut. There is a Pizza Hut and a Sam's club on the island, and while they are very near each other neither of them is anywhere near us. So it was kind of a special occasion that we went. Nonetheless me and Kevin were very excited, and since I knew I wouldn't get Pizza Hut again for a long time I order a large ham and pineapple to bring back to my dorm to eat later. After that we went to Sam's where I had my first grocery shopping experience on the island, i think it went fairly well. The adventure continues we were only back for a short while before we left again for church. Ya on thursday, i don't know why. Anyway at this church you have to dress formal! Formal equals heat stroke in Puerto Rico, at least they had good air conditioning. This church was also in Spanish. Luckily the pastor was from Mexico so I could almost understand him, the Puerto Rican accent is impossible to understand. The service started to Betsy playing the piano, ya she does everything. then she translated the entire sermon into Sign Language for Kevin! Craziness. Today was a Language overload, and its only just the begining.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Chris, what an incredible experience. Sometimes the only thing we can do is pray and that is also the best thing we can do. Your prayers are vital and you will be surprised how quickly you pick up on the language. We are praying for you! Love, KNBJ

    ReplyDelete