Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 20

Coming up on week three and I think I've adjusted nicely to living here. I already have a pet lizard and I'm growing a palm tree. I've heard that carnivorous plants grow well here so I really want to get one. I thing the kids would really enjoy feeding it and watching it grow. We'll call the plant plan b if the lizard dies. I think I was invited to a tea party today... these women are crazy if they think I'm going to a tea party. Unless they serve black,  french roast tea its not happening. All the girls will regularly get together and drink tea... I don't get it.  Anyway I almost died today. Leo, Wade and I went snorkeling after school today, and because of the recent storm there were large waves, which makes for bad snorkeling. So we get out there and the water is all cloudy and my goggles kept fogging up and we're swimming around this huge island of coral that you cant cross over because its only like a foot deep and there are waves and pointy things on the coral. We started to go around the coral and Leo swims under me and his head touched my foot so my automatic ninja reflexes said "kick his back with both feet as many times as you can in two seconds!" so I did. Twenty minutes later we're about halfway around this thing and we're pretty far from shore and Leo decides he's going to swim over the 1 foot deep coral, bad idea, and before I could get Leo's attention to tell him to stop and that I'm not following him, Wade puts his head in the water and swims after him. Wade and the ocean don't really get along. A few days ago was Wade's first time in the ocean and he was too scared to even get near the coral and now hes swimming over top of some really shallow coral. So I finally get Leo's attention and tell him to come back and that he is crazy, he agrees to both and comes back. Wade on the other hand is to scared to move because he is surrounded by sea urchins, and had been stung all over his hands. Leo made it back to me without too much trouble and so we just sat in the water trying to think of what we could do. Wade is stuck and injured, the sun is going down and the waves are pushing us into the sharp coral. We decided that the only thing we could do is to swim back to wade and once we were all together try to find an escape. So we started swimming. You know that seen In Mission Impossible 3 where Tom Cruise is being lowered into that room by a rope but they drop him and barely catch him before he hits the ground and he does this star fish pose so that he doesn't touch the ground? Ok well imagine me doing that in the water trying to swim inches from the sharp spikes of the see urchins and then the water is moving back and forth like a tide pool. There were times that I was just laying on coral for a second completely out of the water because reseeded. It was a miracle that I didn't land right on top of a see urchin. After barely making it to wade, me and Leo find him standing in knee deep water with urchins all around him moving in for the kill. So we pushed him over and headed for shore. It's a wonder I'm not still out there skewered by a giant urchin. After we got back we eat dinner and played apples to apples, one of my words was melodramatic, weird. Quote of the day.  "A two-year-old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

2 comments:

  1. The group around the campfire is wondering why you don't seem to learn your lesson about the sea erchin encounters and the shallow coral. Try to stay alive until we can come see you!

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to go in the coral! I had to to save Wade.

    ReplyDelete