Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 21

Seriously though, these ants are going to kill me any day now. I was told though that after about 6 years you build up an immunity to there bites, I don't know that that will help me. There is a bite that you can't become immune to though, shark bites! I heard today that on Tuesday a woman was brutally attacked be a shark in a bay much like the one I was in this evening!  That was one of seven recorded shark attacks in Puerto Rico's history, the last of our lethal shark attacks was in the twenties, so its been a while. So about the bay I was in. Today I witnessed something that few are fortunate enough to see, I went to a bio luminescent lagoon. One of only seven in the world, three of which are in Puerto Rico, the lagoon is full of a type of algae that glows when disturbed. The algae is so small that the only thing you can see is the water glowing wherever you touch! It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. I can't wait to show my family when they come to visit. There are also a ton of fish there and when they swim fast at all they glow and its so bright! It looks amazing! I recommend that everyone at least look this up and look at pictures because it is indescribable.  We borrowed kayaks from a local pastor that we know and paddled up this river on the way to the lagoon. As the water is hitting the front of the kayak it glows and wherever you paddle lights up. After we got all the way up the river we began to explore the lagoon and play with the water. Me and Leo found a dock on the far side of the lagoon. It was pitch dark and all we could see past the dock was a walkway made out of wood that lead straight into the dark rain forest. We eventually got up the courage to go down the path. So Jen and Laurie are back at the dock holding the kayaks and me and Leo are walking down this path into the pitch dark forest. You cant talk to a deaf person without light. So a little ways down the trail there is this platform up above the trees that you can go on. Once we were up there we had enough light to talk and I told him that I could hear these little noises in the forest that almost sounded like footsteps(I wasn't lying) and as I was listening closely to the forest Leo yells at the top of his longs and scared me so bad! All the hairs on my neck were standing up straight and he was laughing his head off, he was very proud of himself because he scared me. Not funny. So I wasn't almost killed today but there was about a half a second when I thought I was about to die. So if your ever in Puerto Rico I recommend you check this out, and come to me and I will find a kayak for you to borrow so it is free! Thanks for reading my post.

No comments:

Post a Comment