Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 51

Today I peered around the corner into the deaf world. The first hearing person I talked with today was Tess at 9pm. So this morning me and Leo went to his church. Everything is in sign language which I can understand well enough but it takes every bit of my energy to focus and I was signing all day. After church there was a baby shower for a brand new baby girl. I have never in my life been to a baby shower and today I figured out why. First of all the entire room was pink. All I had to look forward to was the food and someone said that there would be games. In a room full of girls who looked like they didn't care so much about winning a game I thought I had a shot. So the only game that I could participate in was guess how many M&Ms are in the baby bottle. Of coarse I won. If that's a surprise to you you don't know me very well, and for those of you still wondering, 135. Guess what my prize was, other than the sweet smell of victory, I got a bar of soap, that's pink and it says "its a girl" on it. I felt bad about ruining there friendly game after that. So after the shower we went back to Leo's dad's house. There I got to drive Leo's car for the first time! It has a manual transmission, my favorite. Very fun I missed driving stick. Then I got to ride his scooter, its basically a Vespa but it is still very fun. He is hoping to have it moved to the school as soon as possible. His dad doesn't want him to drive it on the highways for obvious reasons. Then we met Leo's grandparents who don't speak English, or Sign Language. So that was an opportunity to use a little Spanish. They seem like very nice people though. Leo and his dad actually went into the other room and left me alone with his grandparents for like ten minutes and I didn't even freak out. I think I was just in language shock. After all of this we all went to Sizzler. Which is nothing like the Sizzler in America. Its actually a buffet and Leo and I had an ice cream eating contest. It was a tie so we both lost. My day of Sign Language finally came to an end at about 9pm. Such a fun day but I am so tired! I will be brain dead tomorrow, and Leo talked me into quitting caffeine for a couple of weeks starting tomorrow. What have I done. LaurieTeel mentioned that I no longer do the quote of the day, she thinks that this is because of laziness.  Well LaurieTeel this ones for you. "True friendship is like wetting your pants, everyone else can see it but only you can feel its true warmth."-Robert Bloch

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the figurative language at the start of your entry! (Today I peered around the corner into the deaf world.) Nice strong beginning.
    Second, your brain seemed less fried last night than I would have expected. (I was hoping that it would be so fried that I would destroy you in multiple games of Othello, but alas, it was not to be!)
    You're making good progress in your new languages. Hang in there!
    (Sorry for the compliments, but I can't help but give them when they are warranted.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was a little envious when i saw you taking off for the Deaf church - that was MY sunday place for quite some time. Thanks for letting me re-live it through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you have against compliments?
    When I first read your blog my mind saw as I peed around the corner! hahaha
    Why did you stop including the quote, tiredness, lack inspiration, depression?
    Today's was so typically you! Glad you are back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice having something to write about, haha. thats not always the case. Please come down for pretend thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete