Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 58

My Attacker 
So, on Saturday Betsy, Leo, Wilfredo, Sonia, and I went to a little island called Vieques. It was a short drive to the ferry and a 20min. ferry ride to the island. The ferry costs 2 dollars to get to the island, if your deaf its 1 dollar, whats that about. No es justo. Anyway we get there and catch a ride on a publico(taxi... ish) and Betsy asked the driver what the best beach on the island was, she said la playa rojo is the best but its kind of in the middle of nowhere. That sounded good to us so we went there. This was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. This beach was ten times better than any post card or desktop wallpaper, and I got to swim in it. Betsy and I basically snorkeled the entire cove. We even swam out to this little island, its not really and island; Maybe 30x10 feet, and it was made up of lime stone that had eroded away from the waves and all that was left were sharp rocks. Not very friendly. Either way I managed to time out my attempts with the waves and got onto the thing. All the crabs came over to my side of the island to see what was going on. The pointy lime stone was very difficult to walk on and it continued just beneath the water level so I was really worried about how I was going to get off of this ridiculous little crab infested island. I basically had Betsy find the deepest piece of water within 5 feet of the island then I waited for a wave to come and I dove into it trying to stay as close to the surface and as far away from the rocks as possible. Long story short I survived. I was later attacked by a basketball sized sea urchin. Leo was stabbing at it with a stick, I guess trying to kill it and when he got it out of its hiding place I caught it with my hands and it tried wiggling its way between my hands and got enough pressure between them to stab me in the finger. Not very nice, I was trying to help it. Despite the unnecessary violence both to and from the urchin it was a really cool break after a long week. Betsy sent me this link to a "focus on the family" thing and I listened to it and it explains very well a lot of problems that the deaf community face. If you can spare a half an hour to listen to this it is an extremely important message. Just follow the link above. So today I went to the Evangelical Church for the Deaf again but this time I brought Betsy so she got to reconnect with a lot of old friends so that was nice. Tonight I went to Spanish church and heard another good sermon. I love Sundays, and not just the dessert. I woke up to a ton of rain this morning! It was great, Betsy was up before everyone and of coarse playing in the rain. I know that rain causes flooding here and all sorts of problems but I can't help but love it. I grew up in Orange County California. It never rains there. I think the last time it rained I was 6. And I still have reason to believe that was just the neighbors sprinklers. Either way if your raised in a desert you learn to enjoy the rain. I don't know what Betsy's excuse is.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, it sounds like the little island you were on was actually reef, or at least a patch reef. Watch out for marine invertebrates, they'll stab, crush, pinch, sting or bite you when you're least expecting it! They're also tasty with melted butter.
    Sally (Betsy's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://theviequesguide.com/beaches/red_beach.shtml
    It didn't seem like reef as much as a piece of the land that had had it's isthmus removed so now it was an island. More stone and stone than coral if you know what I mean. We gotta go there!

    ReplyDelete