Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 72

I figured out what holiday it is tomorrow. It's Columbus day! So everyone go to someone else's house and tell them "You need to leave, I live here now". Such a good holiday. Despite all the traditions we will all be busy with tomorrow we still have school, and Saul is mine again! I love that kid. I don't see how I can ever leave, not until he is an adult, maybe then. I went to Spanish church today, it was a pretty short sermon because we had to discuss who would be making the lunches for the next year it seemed like. So many volunteers, and the food sounded great. After church and lunch, Elizabeth and I decided to hike to the top of a nearby hill because you can see the city and the ocean from there. It was a pretty good little hike. First we fought our way through a spider infested forest only to find ourselves in a field of spiky bushes. It was very slow going, I was in front with a machete trying to cut a path threw the thorny vines. Finally we made it to the base of the hill. The hill was covered in trees that almost reminded me of the forests in California when we were in them. That is until a big bull showed up in front of us all mad about something. Why are they always upset, anyway so it stopped and looked at us so I whistled really loud at it and it trotted off, it was pretty easy from there. It was a really cool view from the top with the ocean and the city. I think I will do a lot better with directions now that I have the overhead view in mind. On the way back I tried to follow the same way we went up so that when we got the the field we could take the path I had already made. Well I lost our trail before we got to the bottom, I did pretty good considering how hard it is to remember where you went when everything looks the same. I was just trying to track myself. So I couldn't find were we had gone through the field before so I had to chop a new trail. Eventually we made it through and I found the trail I made threw the jungle pretty quickly. Its so much easier to track threw thick jungle than it is threw open trees. There are just so few markers. Either way we made it and we're both still alive which is a plus. I missed hiking, I'm glad I got to do that.

6 comments:

  1. I want to hike that when we are there! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...did you read the post... bulls and spiders and fields of thorns. ok

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok... you are way past overly dramatic. it's a wee hill and there are not giant spiders. did you take pictures? you gotta take pictures or it's not a real hike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and Jamie can do it. she will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to tell them about how you wrestled the bull on our way back. I was a little doubtful when you two were charging at each other, but when you grabbed it by the horns, I knew you'd win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth! I don't want people to think I'm some kind of super hero. I'm just really good at wrestling bulls.

    ReplyDelete